Thursday, January 30, 2014

Denim Rug

For those of you who don't know, I've done a lot of moving in the past year.  Around October, I knew that my biggest move -- the one across the country -- was upcoming, and I had a lot of denim jeans that I was trying to save as fabric. Knowing that they would be easier to pack if I cut them now, and needing a little break, I decided to take on a quick project: a Denim Rug.

I got the idea and directions from this link on Intractables.

First, I followed the instructions here
to get the most out of my jeans.

Then, I placed all the waistbands on the floor, organized them how I wanted, and began to sew.  In between each waist band, I had a think piece of seaming.  I also used several thick cuffs instead of waist bands and edged the entire project in the seaming.  Full details are in the project link.

This went very well.  It was easy to make and the sewing was quick.  I did break my needle a couple of times in the thicker parts, and I would only do this with a machine that can sew denim.  I also find that the edges of the seaming fray a little bit.  Over all, I really like it, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment