Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Grandma's New Sweater

When I found this mostly-complete sweater in the box of yarn stuff from Aunt Vi, and knew immediately that it had to go to Grandma, who had now lost both of her sisters in one year, for Christmas.

The package arrived with two complete front-pieces, a complete back piece, and one sleeve.  The problem, of course, was that Grandmas was many sizes smaller than Aunt Vi, so I had to figure out some way to make it work.

Firs things first, I whipped up a matching sleeve and seamed all the main pieces together.  I decided on finishing the raw button-band edge with a pattern, and then creating a matching belt, and boring old me decided seed-stitch would work just fine.

Unfortunately, as you may have read, Grandma passed just before Thanksgiving.  As heartbreaking as this was, we were able to spend some family time together and reminisce over the holiday.

I had hoped to post this with a picture of Grandma wearing her sweater.  Instead, I'm left with a lovely wrapped gift under the tree.  A box with a sweater and a note, and a topper with her two dishcloths.  I'm honestly not sure what I will do with them.  Maybe I'll give them to Aunt Vi's daughter.  Right now, it's too painful to give them away, so they continue to sit in our family room, reminding me of times we once thought we might have.

Life is short.  Never take it for granted.

Ravelry Project

No comments:

Post a Comment