Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Simplicity Apron

I made a new-years resolution: I have to finish three projects I've already started/purchased before I can start anything new.  Here's project one!




I bought the pattern and fabric for this apron back in June when it was on sale at Walmart, so it was one of the first to be finished.  The pattern is Simplicity SewSimple 2011, as seen below.


It was pretty simple, when I actually got down to it, but it was my first sewing project (which had a pattern) in about five years, so I had forgotten what all of the symbols meant!

It was a quick project, about 4-5 hours total, and came out pretty well.  Honestly I'm just glad to have it done and off my mind!  It .

However, when I bought the fabrics, I had intended them to be switched.  On the pattern, it says to buy 1 1/8 yard of fabric for the "apron" and 5/8 yard for the "contrast."  When I saw the picture on the cover, I thought that the apron was made of the zebra fabric and that the pockets were inserted after, so my assumption was that the stripes were the "contrast" and I bought accordingly.  I was wrong.  The apron is made of two pieces of fabric -- in mine, the polka-dots make the bulk of the apron and the spirals are simply an over-lay -- so that the pockets are really just one big pouch.

It still came out okay, but now the waistband has a bigger design than the rest of it, so the illusion of slimness is gone.  Oh well. :)



I would suggest this to someone who knows how patterns work or who knows how to figure things out.  If you're the type of person who can do that "assembly required" furniture with no problem at all, then I'm not worried about you teaching yourself this pattern.

It's simple enough to be a beginner pattern, but a clueless person who has trouble with "assembly required furniture" should probably have an interpreter!

No comments:

Post a Comment