Monday, April 28, 2014

Reverse I-Cord Lanyard (PATTERN)

One of the mothers I babysit for absolutely loves lavender.  She also mentioned how desperately she was in need of a lanyard to keep her keys on.  Having a variety of keys for different places on different rings and large bags and coat pockets for them to get lost in, I can totally understand!

So, I took an afternoon to whip this one up for her.  I couldn't find any similar patterns online, so I figured I'd post it here.


You will need:

  • a key clip or ring
  • size 5 (ish) DPNs
  • scraps of worsted weight yarn.  To figure out how much you need, use this formula:
    • (number of inches you want the "strap" to be) + 2 = required feet of yarn
Directions:
  • Cast on 6 stitches
  • Work these stitches as if you were making a I-cord, but in the opposite direction, so the purl bumps face out
  • Work 5-10 rows (about one inch)
  • Keeping your working yarn on the right side, place the three left-most stitches on stitch holders
  • Now, continue in this reverse i-cord using only the three stitches on the right
  • Work until desired length
  • Use a modified version of grafting to attach the stitches that were set aside
    • send the needle in the opposite direction because these are purl stitches, essentially
    • graft the left of one needle to the right of another
    • play it by ear, honestly
  • use the cast on tail to attach your ring or clip
  • Weave in the ends and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment