Friday, June 20, 2014

Homemade Power Scrub (ie Comet)

I saw this tutorial over at DIY Natural a few months back, and have been waiting for my bottle of Parmesan to be empty to make it.  Well, this week was the week.

You will need:


  • 1 cup of Baking Soda
  • 1/2 cup grated bar soap
  • 15-20 drops of essential oil (I used Melaleuca/TeaTree, Lemon, and Eucalyptus)
  • Jar with shaker lid
  • Food Processor/Blender
I doubled the recipe and used 10-13 drops of each of my chosen essential oils.  The next step is to blend it all together in a food procession, but I don't have one, so I tried to use a blender instead.  It didn't really work.  The soap gummed up the blades as I tried to run it, almost breaking the blender.  I had to keep turning it off and re-starting it, and several times I had to just stir it by hand to get the clumps out.  Not ideal

As a cleaning agent, though, it works great!  Once your mixture is all powdery, you simply transfer it to a receptacle of your choice, preferably a shaker-topped jar, and use.  I have a shower that doesn't drain very well, combined with hair that sheds like a dog in July, and bi-weekly egg, mayo, and honey hair treatments that get left all over the shower floor.  Needless to say, I'm always looking for a better, more long term cleaner, and I think I've found it.

It was super easy to use!  I just sprayed a bit of water in the tub, sprinkled the powder in, and then massaged it around with a wet sponge until it easily coated the bottom.  I left it on for about 20 minutes, and then wiped it off with clean water, and I had the most beautiful sparking tub!  It even stayed that way after two showers, and it wasn't until the third that it started to get scummy again!  Horah!

I highly recommend this.  It's super easy to make, pretty cheap, and works great!


I, however, wasn't able to fit the plastic top onto any of my glass jars, so I just left it on the Parmesan plastic.  I probably should label this in case someone gets hungry!  Good thing I don't have any kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment