Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Summer Airplane Scarf/Shawl

I was walking down College Ave in Oakland, heading to my regular Knitting Group meetup, when I head the women behind me talking.
"I just love your scarf!"  One of them said.

"Thanks!  Hey, watch this!"

We had stopped at a crosswalk waiting for the flashing man to shine, and they walked in line with me.  The woman wearing the scarf pulled it off her neck and spread it out, and before me, I saw a beautiful, delicate shawl.

"Wow!" Cooed the admirer, "That's beautiful."

"Yeah," she responded, scrunching the scarf/shawl up and placing it around her neck again, "I love it.  I take it with me all the time when I'll be out for a while and weather might change.  It's thin, so it scrunches nicely into a bag, too, and I just love taking it on airplanes.  It can be a blanket or a pillow in flight."

And then I was hooked.  As a recent migrant to this country's Western shores, I knew that in the next few years, I would be flying back East many times to see my loved ones, and, hopefully, to move back.  And I'm a temperature sensitive woman.  A match made in heaven.  It was the fates.

Immediately, I knew the yarn I would use.  At a recent going-out-of-business sale, I had secured a cone of beautiful forest green yarn by ArtFibers called "Moss Beach."  It contained a variety of colors that I wore with just about everything, was thin enough to create the perfect weave, and was moderately adhesive, but only with itself, so it was perfect for shawl-wearing made easy.

It didn't take long to find the perfect pattern, either.  My wonderful husband got me all four Jane Austen Knits magazines for Christmas, and I quickly came across Georgiana Darcy's Fancy Shawl.

The result?  I love it, but I'd love to see what you think.  I can't wait to wear it on my upcoming trip to my family reunion!
 Ravelry Pattern | Ravelry Project

No comments:

Post a Comment